GAR Volume 14 - Issue 3
This edition of our magazine is dedicated to our 2019 GAR Awards, which took place in Paris on 4 April.
It is the second consecutive year the GAR Awards ceremony has been held in the French capital as part of Paris Arbitration Week. Attended by more than 340 guests, the event took place in the Opera Ballroom at the InterContinental Le Grand.
Profits from the event go towards funding the Swawou School for Girls in Sierra Leone, which has been supported by GAR’s owner, Law Business Research, for over a decade.
The ceremony saw the unveiling of this year’s GAR 30 ranking, which saw White & Case take first place for the fifth year in a row. King & Spalding achieved its highest-ever ranking in the table, surging to second place and dislodging Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, which took third place. Herbert Smith Freehills and Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan were fourth and fifth respectively.
You can read how the rest of the ceremony unfolded in these pages, including a lifetime achievement award for German arbitrator Karl-Heinz Böckstiegel, accompanied by an entertaining address from Dutch arbitrator Albert Jan van den Berg.
GAR is grateful to the attendees, who raised money for the Swawou School for underprivileged girls in Kenema, Sierra Leone, and to our sponsors: Warde Advogados, FTI Consulting, Blackrock Expert Services, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, the Dubai International Arbitration Centre and PwC.
In this magazine:
- Best lecture or speech
- Best innovation by an individual or organisation
- GAR ART: best prepared and most responsive arbitrator
- International arbitration practice that impressed
- Most important decision
- Best development
- GAR Guide to Regional Arbitration award for arbitral institution that impressed
- Jurisdiction that has made great progress
- Equal representation in arbitration pledge award
- Lifetime achievement award
- The GAR 30 2019
- GAR Expert Witness Power Index 2019
- In memoriam